Hi there beauty lovers,
I hope your week is going well! I’ve had a busy week so far, I’ve noticed a lot of activity on all my social media feeds and my blog which is amazing – thank you all for your support! I need more hours in the day to read and respond to everything, anyone else feel like that?!
Turning to this post, I have been meaning to do this review for AGES but kept forgetting it! If any of you are John Lewis club card holders you may recall receiving an email a few months ago about a limited edition members only beauty box offer – this was the box! It was £25 and only available for a short time. Being a big beauty box fan, I wanted to buy it and see how it compared to other subscription boxes I’ve tried. I must stress John Lewis haven’t launched their own subscription box service, although I would definitely consider it if they did, judging by the quality of this one!
This is what the box contained:
There were 8 products in total, which is decent for a beauty box! It featured mostly skin care with a couple of makeup items, but everything was good quality from well-regarded brands. Taking each item in turn:
- The Marc Jacobs Highliner in Blacquer – if you have not tried Marc Jacobs makeup, you really need to! It’s amazing quality and competitive in price to other popular makeup brands. This eyeliner is beautiful, very smooth in its application and a true black colour. I have a number of these eyeliners in different colours and they are all brilliant and very pigmented.
- Laura Mercier Foundation Primer – Most of you will know I rate Laura Mercier as a brand – her makeup is excellent! This primer is a plain white fluid formula which absorbs into the skin really well and leaves it feeling smooth and soft ready for foundation application. When I have used this primer, my makeup has applied really well and has lasted throughout the day with very little loss of colour or ‘slippage’. If you’re in the market for a new primer, this one is definitely worth trying.
- Origins Plantscription Anti-Ageing Power Serum – I have not used a great deal from the Origins brand although I have heard many good things about it, so receiving this was great as it allowed me to test something. I never used to use face serums until the last few months, but I can see why they are so popular and how beneficial they can be to the skin! This serum is very good, you don’t need a huge amount per application as it will go a long way and it leaves the skin feeling fresh and nourished. I put serums on before moisturiser and I can see the difference this extra step has made to the condition and feel of my skin. Give this one a try!
- Benefit Gimme Brow Fiber Gel – I love Benefit products and have done for many years. When they launched the new eyebrow maintenance range I was like a child in a sweet shop, trying to figure out what to buy! I ended up buying the Ka Brow pot which is very good but I didn’t buy the Gimme Brow as I already had the old version in my makeup kit. I was so happy to see this in the beauty box as it allowed me to compare my old version with the new improved one and I have to say it is even better than it was! I can’t exactly put my finger on why but after using the new Gimme Brow, it seemed to fill my eyebrows more than before and the colour was a better darker shade which matched my eyebrow colour more closely. It’s a brilliant product in any event and a must for your makeup bag.
- Clarins HydraQuench Cream-Mask – I never used to use any Clarins products until I received samples in the various subscription boxes I have tested, but having tried some of the skin care I do think its a quality brand. This mask looks like a moisturiser and I have only used it once as I have so many things to test, but it does work like a mask would, leaving skin feeling deep cleaned, soft and plump. Like with most masks I would not use it more than once a week as I like to exfoliate as well but its a lovely mask to have in your collection for those pamper days.
- Liz Earle Cleanse & Polish Hot Cloth Cleanser – This brand is exceptional! Liz Earle skin care transformed my skin from having lots of spots and blemishes to barely any, without causing dryness or irritation. Her products are beautifully made and chemical free and she caters for all skin types. This cleanser is amazing, I thought when I first started using it that the muslin cloth that comes with it would aggravate my skin if used regularly but it actually doesn’t. After every use my skin feels clean and soft and hydrated! I use the combination oily range and its a god send! I also use other elements of her skin care range and her hair and body products – I will be doing a review of my Liz Earle skin care products soon so I won’t say too much here!
- Charlotte Tilbury Magic Cream Instant Turnaround Moisturiser – Not only does Charlotte Tilbury create some of the most amazing innovative makeup, she now does beautiful skin care. I was so happy to try this product as I have not been able to test her skin care range properly yet, and it is so gorgeous! It’s a lovely rich creamy texture and it absorbs into the skin so well! You’re left with a dewy, baby skin-like surface, perfect for makeup application or just on its own. I can’t wait to try more of the range!
- Elemis Pro-Radiance Illuminating Flash Balm – I used to only associate Elemis with spas and salons but over time I have bought the odd product and my opinion of the brand is high! Everything I have bought is beautifully packaged and the quality is second to none. This flash balm is no different, and certainly is illuminating! I have used it on its own and under makeup and in both cases my skin has felt lovely and hydrated with a subtle glow. I don’t use it all the time because I like to mix up my routine and I also want to make it last, but it’s worth trying if Elemis is new to you.
And there we have it! I have to say, this beauty box was worth every penny and I really hope John Lewis will bring another one out during the course of the year – I did ask the store staff if another box was likely and they indicated there was a good possibility as this one was so popular! I think John Lewis as a department store is brilliant anyway and it is worth signing up to their store card regardless of this beauty box promotion but if you ever needed an incentive this would be a good one!
I hope you enjoyed this post, do leave your comments below and feel free to like and share! If there are any specific products you would like me to review or any blog post ideas you would like me to consider, do let me know, I always love inspiration from my followers!
See you again soon, don’t forget to follow and subscribe!