I love all things Unicorn so I had to create a look using my Unicorn cosmetics! I had to be very patient waiting for the Too Faced Unicorn Tears lipstick and the Makeup Revolution Unicorn Heart highlighter to come back into stock, but it was so worth the wait! The photo above does not do the makeup justice!
This is the makeup I used to create Unicorn Love:
From the top, here are my reviews on the products. I’ll cover the brushes at the end:
- New CID i-dazzle Shimmery Loose Powder – I have tried a few products by New CID and I would highly recommend the brand. The quality is excellent and they carry a good range of colours and options. This powder was a TK Maxx purchase, on a hunch that it would be a worthwhile purchase – I was not wrong! Its beautiful – although it looks very gold and shimmery in the container, when dusted onto the skin it gives just a hint of golden glow and melts in. You can still use highlighter with it and you will not look overdone. A small amount goes a long way so I only had to dip by powder brush in once to cover the main areas of my face. If you have not tried New CID before, you really should, starting with this powder!
- Nyx Stay Matte but not Flat Foundation – I bought this cream foundation on a whim and trusted it would be a good one given the brand. I have to say it is a decent foundation, but not one of my favourites. The texture is slightly grainy and when I was putting it on my skin it took time to blend in well. The coverage once it was blended was quite good and not too heavy but it still felt a little grainy to the touch even then. This foundation would not put me off using other Nyx products though as I have a lot of their cosmetics and love them.
- Makeup Revolution Unicorn Heart highlighter – This is just lovely, from the gorgeous packaging to the highlighter itself. The colours are not massively pigmented but give just enough colour to provide a shimmer on the skin and they can be built up. I used the highlighter on my eyes, under my eyebrows and on my cheekbones and the effect was almost ethereal! It’s not the type of highlighter that will stand out on the first swipe but can be layered if you want a more Strobe-like effect. It was definitely worth waiting for and I’m sure I will be using it a lot throughout the year!
- Laura Mercier Secret Brightening Powder for under the eyes – This was another product I had to wait to order because it is so popular. It’s a white loose powder with a very slight shimmer and is actually quite pigmented until it is fully blended out. I use it under the eyes with a mini beauty blender and also over the top of my eyeshadow primer to set it. In both cases it does a great job! the shimmer provides the brightness and once it is set under the eyes it doesn’t cake or crease and you can definitely see the difference. It is not a cheap item but you only use small amounts at a time so if you have dark shadows or circles under the eye and need a little extra lightening ‘pop’, it is well worth investing in this powder.
- Too Faced Unicorn Tears lipstick – Sigh, this lipstick is just stunning! When I finally bought it and opened it up I was slightly unnerved by the intense blue colour, but you can see from my photo, when it is on the lips it looks so pretty! There is only a very slight hint of blue but the pink pigments come through far more and you are left with a lovely pearlescent wash of colour. The lipstick can be used alone or over the top of other colours too – for this look I paired it with the Kiko lipgloss and they worked really well together. It is not drying at all and barely moved all day so I did not have to touch up. If you love Unicorn inspired makeup and products this lipstick is a must!!
- Kiko 3D Hydra lipgloss in 05 – I only discovered Kiko in the last few months but since I did I have bought a number of their products and I am really impressed with everything. It is a very reasonably priced brand but the quality is high and they have a good range of colours and product types. The brushes are also very good. This lipgloss is one of my favourite items from the brand, its beautiful on its own or on the top of other lipsticks. It isn’t drying, has decent colour pay off and staying power and a lovely hit of glitter! Like many lipglosses it is a little sticky but not annoyingly so. There are a number of 3D Hydra lipgloss colours so if you have not checked Kiko out why not start with this product!
I did not need to use too many brushes for this look, but the four I have focused on are some of my staples for all my looks. From top to bottom:
- Real Techniques Shading brush – this brush is perfect for applying powder shadows to the main eyelid. It’s slightly fluffy but designed to place colour on the eyelid rather than in the crease and builds colour well.
- Illamasqua Highlighter brush – this brush is meant for highlighter as the name states, but I actually find it too big for that purpose. Instead, I use it as a foundation brush and it’s just as well suited for the purpose. As the head is slightly smaller than a conventional foundation brush it is good for getting into the smaller areas of the face such as round the nose, and the finish on the skin after application is brilliant, smooth and streak free. I have more than one of this brush because it is so versatile!
- Zoeva Brow Line brush – I love this brush for highlighting under my eyebrows. The brush head is quite compact and firm and the bristles are very short so you can really control the application. I find it too thick to actually define my eyebrows but its perfect for highlighting.
- Royal & Langnickel Silk Pro Lash Fan brush – For years I did not know what a fan brush was for! It’s only been in the last year or so that I realised its used to fan out eyelashes! This particular brush is the ideal size for doing just that and it will also declump the lashes and lift them up so they are more obvious. Whilst I often wear falsh lashes, I do use this brush often as it really makes my lashes stand out. If you don’t own one of these brushes, it’s definitely worth buying one and Royal and Langnickel is a good quality reasonably priced brand.
I hope you find this makeup breakdown useful! Feel free to leave any comments or questions below and don’t forget to subscribe to stay up to date with my blogs!